Monday, September 12, 2005

BOOK REVIEW - Eldest & Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Paolini, Christopher. Eragon. New York : Alfred A. Knopf : Distributed by Random House, 2005.
YA Paolini.

Paolini, Christopher. Eldest. New York : Alfred A. Knopf : Distributed by Random House, c2005.
YA Paolini.

I'm not a big fantasy fan. I know why people love fantasy novels so much, but I have a really hard time keeping track of so many characters and settings that I end up missing out on the magic of the novel. Eragon, however, changed this for me.

I picked up this novel for two reasons: 1) I needed a little magic in my life; and 2) It's the rage with all of the kids, and I gotta know what they're reading. Thus started my new literary adventure.

From the prologue I was hooked. Elves, shades, and Urgal attacks don't exist in non-fiction (which is what I'm used to reading), but they do in Eragon & Eldest. Both are part of the Inheritence Trilogy that takes place in a faraway land where dragons used to live, elves are in hiding, dwarves keep to themselves, and just about everyone lives under the rule of the evil Galbatorix.

The revolves around Eragon, an orphaned farmboy, who, on a hunting mission, finds a beautiful blue stone. After unsuccessfully trying to sell it off for much needed food for him and his family, Eragon lays it to rest in his room. Everything changes in the middle of the night, when the stone turns out to be a dragon's egg and Eragon learns that he's a dragon rider!

The adventures of Eragon and his dragon Saphira take the reader on a journey through cities, deserts, elf forests, and dwarf mountains. This is a great read for anybody -- young or old -- who needs a little magic in their life, and is prepared to take an adventure that they will never forget!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home