Monday, May 09, 2005

MOVIE REVIEW - Hitchhiker's Guide (Thanks For All the Fish)

Nerdy as I am, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out that I am a Douglas Adams fan, and of course, have been looking forward to the movie-fication of Hitchhiker's Guide (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams, I have no idea who the publisher is, but I know we have a copy at our library). I wound up going to see it without my towel (a grave mistake, I know) - but only because I went with my family and didn't want to embarrass them.

Get to the point, man.

...er, yes, of course. Anyway, "What is the verdict, oh most knowledgable one?" you ask? Well, the movie was cute. And funny. Not as funny as the book, but there were definitely some laugh out loud moments. Arthur was great, Ford was perfect (or Prefect), and although Adams didn't describe him as black, I will now always imagine Mos Def when reading the book. He was that good. Now for the downsides - one thing that was lacking was good beat comedy, which would have greatly enhanced some of the funny lines. Not a big deal, but enough that it bothered me a little. The only other major negativity-ness was that they left out the scene where Marvin makes a planetary computer system commit suicide just by talking to it.
So. They added some new stuff - effective, and in the same vein as Adams' humor, so it's all good; they couldn't possibly pack in as much stuff as the book - not their fault, it's the medium; they made me laugh out loud at least once.
It's doesn't rank with my favorite movies, but it was good and I might even consider watching it again (which I typically don't do) so.....

Verdict=Winner.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://thocodla.com/svac/ugkh.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://rdtausth.com/tlyw/nyge.html]Cool site[/url]

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://thocodla.com/svac/ugkh.html | http://iplrorlx.com/hyrk/nshb.html

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home